With the glare of the early morning sun spilling over the mountain, the Mubarak birth place is bathed in light, but as is evident, the construction consumes a great swathe of land between Masjid al-Haram and the structure denoting where the Noble Aminah, may Allah Ta’ala’s supreme blessings forever enlighten her soul, welcomed our Beloved Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam as the mercy for all mankind.
‘a light which illuminated the whole world”
Hassan ibn Thabit
Slightly closing the eyes one can almost imagine how this very site was transformed, not so long ago, with festive celebrations filling the Makkan Valleys. The light emanating from this tiny chosen piece of land will forever illuminate the whole world and by far outshines that of the sun, moon and stars!
O truly Muhammad, O you Mustafa,
You truly are Ahmad, you are Mujtaba;
You Taha, you Yasin, you are Abtahi,
You ummi, you Makki, you messenger true!
The first and the last you, and you are the prince,
You inward, you outward, you Prophet unique!
The Hashimi Prophet, Quraishi are you,
Whatever you say, God accepts it from you…
And you are the true lord of all the three worlds,
The house of religion, it prospers through you…
The Angels are moths all, surrounding your light,
The saints are the dust specks around you, the sun…
Brother Erphan, a Madani neighbour of our Blessed Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam, and the architect of this site, (the opening Ayat and Madeeh by Ahmad Abbasi is sublime!) has been so generously sharing knowledge he has been blessed with in the comments. The richness of his research needs to be exposed, hence the inclusion here of some of his contributions; slightly edited. The comment section contain the original. Insha’Allah more to follow in subsequent entries.
The auspicious moment when that Meccan Moon first blazed..
Countless Salutations be upon that heart-rekindling instant!
1. Hadrat Allama Mulla Ali Qari saying the routine of the people of Madina Munawwarah writes, “The people of Madina Munawwarah (May ALLLAH give them progress) on the occasion of Mawlid Shareef used to arrange and attend mawlid gatherings with enthusiasm and sincerity.” (Mawridar Riwa Fee Mawlidin Nabawi, pg 29)
2. Ibne Jauzi says: “Fala Zaala Ahlul Haramainish Shareefain Wal Misr, Wal Yemen, Wash Shaam Wa Saa’iri Bilaadil Arabi Minal Mashriqi Wal Maghribi Yahtafiloona Bimajlisi Maulidin Nabiyyi Alaihis Salaatu Was Salaam Wa Yafrahoona Biqudoomi Hilaali Rabi’il Awwali Biharkati Maulidin Nabiyyi (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)”.
“People of Haramain Shareefain (Makkah and Madinah) and Egypt and Yemen and Syria and of the eastern and western cities of Arabia hold functions in celebration of the birth of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), rejoice at the sighting of the Rabi-ul-Awwal moon, bathe and put on their best dresses adorn themselves in various ways, put on scent, and give alms with great joy, and exert themselves in listening to the Meelaad of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). By doing so, they themselves attain to success, as it has been proved that by celebrating the Meelaad of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) much good accrues the whole year round: security and comfort, greater means of livelihood, increase in children and in wealth, peace in cities and contentment and peace in homes”
1. Tafseer Ruhul Bayan by Shiekh Ismael Haqqi, Vol 9, Page 56
2. Miladul Uroos – Urdu “Bayan-e-Miladun Nabi”, Page 34-35, Published in Lahore.
3. Addurrul Munazzam, page. 100, 101
4. Al-Miladun Nabawi, Page 58
3. Gatherings of Meeladun Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam was switched to Prose in 3rd-4th Hijri then 700 years back from today, A pious and virtuous person named Umer bin Mullah Muhammad Mousli Aleh Rehma established it on regular basis. Following him the great commander Sultan Salahuddin Ayyubi’s dearly loved Sultan Arbal Malik Abu Saeed Muzaffaruddin celebrated Meeladun Nabi officially. Ibn-e-Khalqaan Arabali Sha’fai was eyewitness of that festival. According to “Tareekh-e-Mar’atuz Zaman” billion of rupees were used to spend on those festvities. In the Starting of 7th Century of Hijri Calender; Great Scholar named Abul Khattab Umer Bin Hasan wah’hia Qalbi Undlasi Balansi wrote a book on the topic Meeladun Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam named “At-Tanveer Fee Mawlidis Sirajal Muneer”. In 1207, He went to Sultan Arbal’s castle and presented his book on Mawlid to him, for which he was awarded thousand Gold Coins from Sultan. This was the status and respect of Mawlid Shareef in hearts of earlier leaders of Islam. Not only Sultan Arbal, King of Egypt celebrated the Mawlid Shareef; Allama Ibne Juzri Aleh Rehma is one the eyewitnesses. For the celebration of this festival 1000 Mithqal of Gold was spent on it. Sultan Abu Hamu Musa Talamsani and earlier rulers of Aqsa and Undalas used to Celebrate Meeladun Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam. Abdullah Tonsi Sum Talamsani has written the details of these festivals in his book “Rahal Arwah”.
1. Sublul Huda Warrishaad Fee Seerah Khairal Ibaad by Muhammad Bin Ali Yusuf Damishqi
2. Addurul Munazzam Fee Hukmi Mawlidin Nabi Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam
3. Wafyatud Da’yaan Anba’a Abnauz Zaman, Published in Cairo
4. Allama Muhammad Raza Misri’s Muhammadur Rasoolullah Sallallaho Alaihi Wasallam, Published in Lahore, Page 33
5. Ahsanul Maqsad Fee Amilil Mawlid
6. Anwarus Sati’aa (1307 H), Pg 261, Published from Murad Abadi
4. Muslims use to celebrate gatherings of Meelad Shareef in large cities for-long (Seerat-e-Halbiah, Pg 80)
5. Dwellers of Makkah visit the Birthplace of Prophet Peace be Upon him on eve of Meeladun Nabi every year and arrange great gatherings. (Jawahirul Bi’har, pg 1222)
6. In “Fuyozal Haramain”, Hazrat Shah Waliyul Laah has pointed out, “The birth of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) was celebrated by the people of Makkah who received blessings on account of it.”
7. On the eve of Meeladun Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam celebrations are observed in Makkah and dwellers of Makkah name this day as Youmul Eid Mawlidar Rasoolullah Sallallaho Alaihi Wasallam. People use to cook food. The Minister of Makkah and Commander of Hijaz with their army used to visit the birthplace of Prophet Peace be Upon Him and recite Qasida there. Rows of shining candles are positioned from Haram-e-Makkah to Birthplace and Shops and Houses in the way are also decorated. People use to recite Qasaid whole day at Birthplace. On the night of 11th Rabiul Awwal after Isha, Mehfil-e-Meelad is organized. From Maghrib prayer of 11th Rabiul Awwal to Asar Prayer of 12th Rabiul Awwal, after every prayer Salutations of 21 thanks is presented.
1. Al-Qibla – Makkah Mukarramah
2. Monthly Tareeqat – Lahore, January 1917, Pg 2/3
8. On the Eve of Meeladun Nabi; whole Islamic world is observed to be delight and celebrating it. And it is celebrated till now with enthusiasm and integrity (Encyclopedia of Islam, Vol21, Page 824, Published By: Punjab University, Lahore)
Above photo taken on February 7th.
All good is from Allah Ta’ala whereas mistakes are from this humble speck. May Allah Ta’ala Bless all readers, bringing you all closer to Him and His Rasul SallAllahu alaihi wasallam. May He accept our humble efforts and grant us the capacity to be good and do good. Ameen.